[EM] Disproportionate or proportionate representation system

raphfrk at netscape.net raphfrk at netscape.net
Wed Oct 4 15:49:28 PDT 2006

Dharma (subscribed lists) wrote:

 > What are the views on this sort of electoral system - is it proportional
 > representation or disproportional.

 << the top 2 parties gets 40% of the seats each and the the 3rd party gets 20% >>
 > The result, assuming the following numbers of electors:

> A - 30

> B - 90

> C - 15

Are the electors assigned in proportion to the popular support for the

parties?

> A - 30 get a percentage of 24/60 votes

> B - 90 get a percentage of 24/60 votes

> C - 15 get a percentage of 12/60 votes

> Then reducing each down to one person

> A - 1 person gets 1.333% of the election rights

> B - 1 person gets 0.444% of the election rights

> C - 1 person gets 1.333% of the election rights

> The vote of a B is worth only 1/3rd of any other vote.

Right, this gives less voting power to electors from group A.

However, this is not necessarily a bad thing.  For example, party

A might assign 90 electors even though it has only 40% of the

popular vote.  In effect, each party would decide if it wants lots

of low power representatives or a small number of high power

representatives.  I doubt that is what you meant though ?

However, an issue with the suggestion is that it gives all 3

parties equal power if they block vote.  Any two parties will

have 50%+ of the vote.  This means that even though party C is

the weakest party, it gets equal say to the other 2.  If the

top 2 parties don't maintain party discipline, then party C's

power is somewhat diminished as in a free vote, co-operation

between the top 2 parties is improved.

What is the reason for suggesting this system ?  I assume it is

to guarantee that a 3rd party exists, or is it to ensure that no

party gets an outright majority ?

(assuming that it won't defeat the purpose)

What about having the rule recognising when a party gets an outright

majority.

A is the largest party.  B is next and C is 3rd largest.

Voters can vote for any party, but only the top 3 parties gets any seats.

if A gets > 50%, the split is: