[EM] 3ballot - simplification for range

raphfrk at netscape.net raphfrk at netscape.net
Wed Oct 4 11:56:53 PDT 2006

 This is mainly a response to one of the posts on the RV list
 (sorry not worth signing up for just 1 list)

 "brokenladdercalendar" <thebrokenladder at ...> wrote:
 > Okay, I don't care HOW simple the math is here, most people ....
 > are NOT going to jump
 > through mathematical hoops .... and then putting
 >
 > S + 99 - R - K
 >
 > on the third ballot.

 One option would be to break down the range vote into sub-
 votes. For example, 3 "50's", 3 "25's", 3 "15's" and 3 "10's"

 The voter could then vote FOR on all 4 ballots for their favourite.
 They would vote FOR on some of the votes for less favourites
 and AGAINST for all ballots of their least favourite.

 It is still pretty complex though. There would be 3*4*N ballots
 to be cast for an N candidate race. However, it ensures that the
 voters don't need to do complex maths in their heads.

 In fairness, however, implementation complexity is always an issue
 with range. (It is its main Achilles heel, at least when compared
 to approval)

 One solution is to allow the voter to pick the accuracy/difficulty
 for voting. The voter could take ballots weighted at

 99

 or

 66 and 33

 or

 50, 25, 15 and 9

 or

 50, 25, 10, 7, 5 and 2

 or

 50, 25, 12, 6, 3, 2 and 1

 Hopefully they all add up to 99.

 Also, I think that the last one allows any number from 0 to 99.

 This allows voters to choose their own accuracy. If they just
 want approval, they just take the 99 triplet. However, they can
 take more ballots to balance speed against accuracy.

 Also, a voter should probably be required to take ballots for
 all the candidates. Otherwise, a buyer could pay them not
 to vote for a specific candidate.

 The list of voters at the end would be a little more complex. It
 would have to list each voter and how many votes they cast
 for each candidate. This also slightly reduces the security as a
 voter may forget how many they cast for a specific candidate.

  Raphfrk
 Interesting site
 "what if anyone could modify the laws"

 www.wikocracy.com