[EM] Unicameral single-member + PR in Germany (Re: CompetitiveDistricting Rule)

Stephane Rouillon stephane.rouillon at sympatico.ca
Mon Oct 16 13:30:10 PDT 2006

It is possible to achieve PR with single-member districts if by single-member district it means
only one representative of any political can be candidate. This unclassical definition does not say that there will be only one winner.
There could be several or even none.

However, if by single-member district , it means a single winner will be elected, as it is commonly understood, then James is right as
usual: no PR can thus be reached.

The difference depends on the interpretation of districts: the second solution is a local region for which the election will design one
representative. For the first interpretation, districts are just samples used to obtain the results
of different elections with the same political parties as opponents, but represented by different candidates.

Do you see candidates as party representatives or people representatives? It's like truth and beauty, all in the eye of the beholder...