[EM] Competitive Districting Rule - SPPA

Stephane Rouillon stephane.rouillon at sympatico.ca
Mon Oct 16 13:14:12 PDT 2006

Hello EM List,

I have been rather busy with electoral reform in Quebec, but I finally
found the time
to answer some mails I kept since summer.

I made an identical analysis to Mr. Olson's point of view, that leaded
me to a bicameral scheme too:
one geographic representation for demanders and one ideological
representation for decidors.
With the actual system, politicians who judge when some group of people
ask for subventions or special treatment, can benefit directly from the
decisions by a short electoral feedback. Local interest overcomes global
interest.

To avoid this situation the separation of deciders and defendors is
fundamental, exactly like there are
attorneys and judge in the legislative field. I suggest STV for the
election of local representatives (municipal level)
and SPPA for the national representatives.
SPPA is the french acronym for a Preferential, Proportional and
Acirconscriptive (without district) system.
A crutch option garantees stability, respecting a generalized version of
proportionality using the time (mandate length) as an additional
dimension to realize both these incompatible objectives.
The results respects the check and balance principle.

SPPA is described in french at:
http://www.assnat.qc.ca/fra/37legislature2/commissions/Csle/depot-CSLE-CG.html

Click on 1MA to download.
I can provide an english version on demand.

Stéphane Rouillon