[EM] ThreeBallot - Condorcet version

mrouse1 at mrouse.com mrouse1 at mrouse.com
Mon Oct 2 08:09:56 PDT 2006

(This is a continuation of the thread, "3ballot - revolutionary new
protocol for secure secret ballot elections.")

I originally thought that simply having two ballots reflecting my choice
(say, A>B>C) and one the anti-choice (C>B>A) would be sufficient to allow
a ThreeBallot version for Condorcet. After looking at valid criticisms of
this (thanks to Warren Smith), I realized there is a better way: One
authentic ballot, one random (or voter-picked) order, and one the reverse
of the random order.

For example, let's say my true preference is A>B>C. Some political
operative wants to buy the vote B>A>C. I would simply pick the following:

Ballot 1: A>B>C (true preference)
Ballot 2: B>A>C ("bought" vote)
Ballot 3: C>A>B (reverse of "bought" vote)

Now, I can print out ballot 2 as my "proof." I can pick any order I want
for ballot 2, and simply reverse the order for ballot 3. (Of course, I can
put the random and reverse random ballots at any position I want and my
"true" ballot in the remaining position.)

Of course, it would be rather tedious. If it were a computer/printer
combination, we could have a selection that would automatically randomize
one ballot and reverse this for another, and then print out the triplet.

Of course, I could be overlooking something, but it's an interesting
problem. :)

Michael Rouse
mrouse1 at mrouse.com