[EM] why 0-99 in range voting

Juho juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Nov 22 11:59:11 PST 2006

On Nov 22, 2006, at 19:10 , Abd ul-Rahman Lomax wrote:
> It is only with isolated polls, what we call elections, that the
> various complications arise. Fixing a winner from a poll is
> inherently flawed. I do not believe that the flaw is remediable,
> though certainly better methods can limit the possibility of a
> serious problem.
>
> (There is no problem if a majority prefers or approves of the winner,
> problems only arise when a winner does not enjoy majority support.
> This, then represents minority rule, no matter how you slice it, if
> the election is accepted merely on the basis of election results.)

Wouldn't it be quite safe to e.g. arrange a Range poll/election and
then declare the winner if there is a winner that is at the same time
a Range winner, a Condorcet criterion winner and an IRV winner? If
all these three criteria are met, maybe nobody would complain, and
there would be no need to use strategic votes in the initial Range
poll/election. If some of the conditions are not met, then the Range
poll/election would be called just a poll, no winner would be
declared, and further discussions/voting would be needed.

Juho Laatu