[EM] why 0-99 in range voting

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Wed Nov 22 09:10:42 PST 2006

At 11:52 AM 11/22/2006, RLSuter at aol.com wrote:
>In meetings, when voting on relatively routine issues,
>a range of +1, 0, and -1 may be best in most cases.

In meetings, voting on multiple-answer questions is rare. Where
multiple choices exist, a range poll as part of the deliberative
process makes complete sense to me.

In my view, the majority does have the right of decision, ultimately.
That is, after considering the strength of preference of various
elements of the membership, it can decide Yes or No to a single question.

Out of a Range poll can easily come a motion to elect the Range
winner. Majority Yes, not a problem.

But if the majority refuses to accept the Range winner, it may then
either elect the preference winner, if one has a majority, or it may
engage in further deliberative process.

This is standard democratic practice *at meetings*.

It is only with isolated polls, what we call elections, that the
various complications arise. Fixing a winner from a poll is
inherently flawed. I do not believe that the flaw is remediable,
though certainly better methods can limit the possibility of a serious problem.

(There is no problem if a majority prefers or approves of the winner,
problems only arise when a winner does not enjoy majority support.
This, then represents minority rule, no matter how you slice it, if
the election is accepted merely on the basis of election results.)