[EM] RE : Naive question about Range Voting -- why 0-99 and not 0-100?

Monkey Puzzle araucaria.araucana at gmail.com
Mon Nov 20 12:44:05 PST 2006

On 20 Nov 2006 12:18:57 -0800, Kevin Venzke wrote:

> Monkey,
>
> --- Monkey Puzzle <araucaria.araucana at gmail.com> a écrit :
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> Is there any reason to not allow range voting with scores between 0
>> and 100?  If the intent is to allow a full range of voter expression,
>> why not go the extra point?  I thought the whole idea was to avoid
>> imposing a structural restriction on the voters.
>
> Warren came to the conclusion after a survey he conducted that 0 to
> 100 gives some the impression that the assigned scores must total 100.
> He supposes that a ceiling of 99 would lessen this impression.
>
> See http://www.math.temple.edu/~wds/homepage/works.html, paper 82.
>
> Kevin Venzke

As he states in the paper, most people seem to understand 0-100 just
fine, but a few do not -- they think that all the scores MUST sum to
100.

So why not add an extra line of instructions?  After a couple of
elections, wouldn't most of the clueless people finally get it?

At least put it up for a vote, and let the people decide! :-)

Ted
--
araucaria dot araucana at gmail dot com
http://wiki.electorama.com/wiki/User:Araucaria