[EM] RE : Naive question about Range Voting -- why 0-99 and not0-100?

Bob Richard electorama at robertjrichard.com
Mon Nov 20 12:42:07 PST 2006

Another reason for this is based on experience in public opinion
research.  Scales with an exact midpoint (0 to 10) encourage people to
pick the midpoint to avoid committing themselves.  Scales with an even
number of choices (0 to 9, or 1 to 10) make people come down on one side
or the other, even if only slightly.

Back when I was involved in questionnaire design, researchers had pretty
much settled on the format, "On a scale from 1 to 10, how would you rate
X?"

--Bob Richard