[EM] Range Voting Strategy

Juho juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Nov 11 22:36:42 PST 2006

Some more proposals:

1) In E the average value was used to make the division to max and
min. Also 50% of the candidates getting max and 50% min could be one
strategy.

2) I understood that all voters always had the same strategy. It
would be good to test also cases where one voter or a group of voters
has different strategy than others.

3) Continuing from Chris' scenario. Expand the biggest gap so much
that the best candidate gets max and the worst candidate gets min.

4) Continuing further. Take scaled sincerity and one of the "min and
max only" strategies and study (with different number of candidates
and voters) intermediate strategies where the values are pushed to
the extreme ends only partially.

5) When the number of candidates and voters increases the best
strategy seems to evolve B, H, J,... and ending up in E (or some
other quite similar strategy). Once open question 2 (of http://
rangevoting.org/RVstrat3.html) is (roughly) solved the next step
could be to take some (Range style, semi-reliable) opinion poll
results and cook up the correct strategy for that situation. One easy
approximation (that can be simulated) to knowing the opinions semi-
reliably would be to know certain number of votes for sure and
assuming the rest to be zero-info.

Juho Laatu