[EM] Majority Criterion, hidden contradictions

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Thu Nov 9 09:19:52 PST 2006

This is the meat of it:

As the Majority Criterion is being interpreted -- I have to say that
Mr. Cary's arguments are quite convincing, taking me within what
could be called validation distance of simply agreeing with him --
Approval Voting does not satisfy the Majority Criterion.

However, it does satisfy a *crucial* criterion that most methods don't.

If the method has not resulted in a victory for the majority
preference as described, *the electorate has approved of this
failure, through majority vote.*

Approval satisfies Majority rule, but not the Majority Criterion as
interpreted.

Many other methods don't demonstrate majority rule. That is, they
will accept a winner who has not been accepted by a majority, it is
quite possible that a majority would prefer a new election to be held
than to accept that winner. And if a majority *rejects* a candidate,
under basic democratic principles, that candidate should not take office.

This is, indeed, the position of Robert's Rules of Order, as revised.....