[EM] RE : Ranked Preference benefits

Juho juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Nov 5 15:28:39 PST 2006

I believe with Simpson you refer to the method that is also called
minmax. Minmax(margins) is one of my favourites. It is very simple
and natural. It can also be called the "Least Additional Votes"
method since it can be shortly defined by saying "elect the candidate
that needs least number of additional votes to become the Condorcet
winner". In the example D needs only 2 votes, so it is clearly the
winner. I think the least additional votes philosophy makes sense in
many settings. I.e. the utility value of that candidate is in many
settings the best.

I tend to think that the strong dislike of Condorcet loser is not
well justified. Many people set the Smith set as a key requirement to
any Condorcet completion method. I just sent another mail in the EM
list where I tried to explain why the "real world 3D aesthetics" are
not the right way to handle cyclic preferences in the voting methods.
If the candidates would form a queue where best candidates take the
first places and the worst ones take the last places, then it would
make sense not to pick the winner from the end of the queue. But with
cyclic preferences there are no such queues. Also the visual image
that the Smith set candidates would form a group that has to be put
at the beginning of the queue is not well justified since that
thinking totally ignores the fact that the cyclic defeats within that
group should give some "negative points" to the members of that group.

Juho Laatu