[EM] Range voting, zero-info strategy simulation (Dave)

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Fri Nov 3 19:46:26 PST 2006

At 06:14 AM 11/1/2006, Dave Ketchum wrote:
>A normal election is usually not close enough to a tie for what ONE voter
>does to make a difference.  If, generally, the collection of voters that
>consider A and B tolerable vote your strategy, A and B can tie; if each
>who has a clear preference votes it, this should properly affect the result.

I just want to note that Asset Voting can create a situation where
practically no votes are wasted. It is quite possible, as well, for
every vote to be connected with a winner who takes office. When no
votes are wasted, voters will, I'd predict, have a sense that every
vote counts.

Under Asset, votes are redistributed at the discretion of the
candidates who received them. If a voter overvotes, the votes are
fractionally distributed (This is Fractional Asset Voting, the
original Asset of Warren Smith allowed voters to cast a vote in the
range 0.000 to 1.000, sum of votes being 1.000, but it is unclear to
me that there is any substantial advantage of this over FAAV, which
uses a standard ballot, same as plurality, and allows the choice of a
single candidate, who is effectively a proxy, or of a virtual
committee of proxies.)

Now, an additional twist. Every vote is already tagged according to
the precinct it came from. When the candidate transfers votes, he or
she transfers precincts with them. The vote count transferred and the
sum of precinct vote counts would not be exact, but that does not
matter much. The idea is that every vote can look at a winner and
say, "My vote elected him."

This would allow a winning candidate with surplus votes to
essentially assign representatives so that the ultimate elected reps
are as local as possible. Yet some reps would largely represent the
total voter space, because, say, there was only enough to elect that
candidate state-wide, the candidate has no surplus votes. Or a seat
is cobbed together with surplus votes from many candidates. However,
I strongly suspect that, except for thinly and widely-distributed
factions, who aren't even close to getting a seat now, voters would
tend to vote for someone they know or who is local.

The voters make the decision, through the candidates they voted for.
Representative "districts" are effectively created without the
possibility of gerrymandering. While the districts would overlap, a
particular region would probably have a relatively stable set of
local representatives.

The representatives would not know who elected them, specifically,
but they would not what precincts were involved. They would consider
those precincts their bailiwick.