[EM] RE : Re: Range voting, zero-info strategy simulation (Dave)

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Thu Nov 2 07:40:01 PST 2006

Dave,

--- Dave Ketchum <davek at clarityconnect.com> a écrit :
> > The text you were responding to is considering the strategy of a single
> > voter, with the other voters' strategies and preferences being unknown.
> > The single voter could be anyone.
> >
> > There was no simulation or assumption that *all* voters are using any
> > particular kind of strategy.
> >
> IF all the other voters decide on strategies without your input, it
> matters little what single voter does, for results are not likely to be
> close enough to a tie for it to matter what single voter does.

Obviously it matters little, but it does matter somewhat, and the question
I was considering is how one voter can make the most difference.

> If a significant fraction of voters vote per your promoted strategy, the
> strategy can make a difference:
>       You say to NOT indicate felt preference among tolerable candidates
> -
> which weakens such voters influence among these candidates.

But it maximizes their influence between two sets of candidates.

>       Advice to indicate felt preferences gives these voters a chance to
> have useful influence.

It is a trade-off. And what I showed is that the influence overall is
maximized by dividing the candidates into two categories.

This isn't news; this has practically been common knowledge on the EM
list for years.

> > As you note, a single voter has hardly any ability to make a
> > difference. If he wants the best result, he doesn't want to hand out a
> > 9/10 and a 10/10. He wants to rate them both in the thousands, if only
> > it were allowed.
>
> Between tens and thousands matters little, provided each voter gets the
> same treatment.

You miss my point. If you give one voter the choice between rating A a 10
and B a 9 (because the voter slightly prefers A to B), and both candidates
100 points (when 10 is supposed to be the maximum), which move do you
think is better for this voter? It is delusional to think your ballot
is so pivotal that you can afford to give the better candidates less
than a full score.

Kevin Venzke