[EM] RE : Ranked Preference benefits

Juho juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Nov 2 12:35:44 PST 2006

On Nov 2, 2006, at 1:29 , Kevin Venzke wrote:
> Juho,
>
> --- Juho <juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk> a écrit :
>> Example 1. Large party voters consider C better than the other large
>> party candidate, but not much.
>>
>> 45: L>>C>R
>> 40: R>>C>L
>> 15: C>L=R
>>
>> Ranked Preferences elects L. (first round: L=-10, C=-70, R=-20;
>> second round: L=-10, R=-20)
>
> In my opinion, if C is able to convince *every voter* to acknowledge
> that he is better than the major party alternative, then C is surely
> not a bad result.

There is no need to convince every voter. This example is simplified
(for readability) but not extreme since there could well be a mixture
of different kind of votes. (See e.g. example 4.)

The utility of C could be really low to the voters even though it was
ranked higher than the worst candidate (in Range terms e.g. R=99,
C=1, L=0). One of the key points of Ranked Preferences is that also
weak preferences can be expressed and they may have impact.

> As long as truncation is allowed, and voters have the opportunity to
> learn how the method works, I don't think "weak" CWs would be a real
> problem.

I take this to mean support to basic (flat preference) Condorcet
methods with active use of truncation.

> If they're not "good enough" to win at all, people should not
> be giving them votes.

I'd prefer methods where voters can simply vote sincerely without
considering when it is beneficial to truncate and when not. Condorcet
voters need not leave non-approved candidates unlisted. I think
Ranked Preferences provides some improvements. I'll try to explain.

If A and B voters would all truncate we would end up in bullet voting
and falling to a plurality style election. Not a good end result.
45: L>C=R
40: R>C=L
15: C>L=R

Note also that at the first round vote R>>C>L gives exactly the same
results as vote R>C=L. Ranked Preferences thus allows voters to
"truncate" and in addition to indicate also the preference order of
the "truncated" candidates. The lower strength preferences come into
play after the higher strength preferences are no longer used.

It is also important from the R supporters' point of view to be able
to indicate that C is better than L. They need to be prepared for the
situation where R can not win. In example 1 C was eliminated first.
With modified votes (see below) R will be eliminated first. Now the
lower preferences of the R supporters become important. (first round:
L=-10, C=0, R=-20; second round: L=-10, C=0)
20: L>>C>R
25: L>C>>R
30: R>>C>L
10: R>C>>L
15: C>L=R
If the 30 R>>C>L voters would have voted R>>C=L (truncated), L would
have won. (first round: L=-10, C=0, R=-20; second round: L=-10, C=-50)

 From the A voters' point of view voting L>>C>R is also quite safe.
Ranking C above R in the ballot does not help making C the winner
(although it might make C a flat preference Condorcet winner) as long
as L is in the game. And if L is eliminated, then these votes will
support C over R.

I thus claim that truncation as a tool in traditional (flat
preference) Condorcet methods is not as expressive and not as natural
for the voters than the ranked preferences of the Ranked Preferences
method. At least in this example voters clearly benefited of sincere
voting.

I think it is a problem of basic Condorcet methods that they easily
elect the centrist candidate. If preference strengths are not known
electing the Condorcet winner is a good choice (and basic Condorcet
methods are good methods). If preference strengths are known, then
the choice is not that obvious. Ranked Preferences takes into account
the relative strength of preferences (but not the "absolute
strengths" in the Range style). The end result is more expressive
than basic Condorcet but still quite immune to strategies (?). In
some cases it allows also even more sincere ballots than the basic
Condorcet methods (see above).

Juho Laatu