[EM] RE : Ranked Preference benefits

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Wed Nov 1 15:29:27 PST 2006

Juho,

--- Juho <juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk> a écrit :
> Example 1. Large party voters consider C better than the other large
> party candidate, but not much.
>
> 45: L>>C>R
> 40: R>>C>L
> 15: C>L=R
>
> Ranked Preferences elects L. (first round: L=-10, C=-70, R=-20;
> second round: L=-10, R=-20)

In my opinion, if C is able to convince *every voter* to acknowledge
that he is better than the major party alternative, then C is surely
not a bad result.

As long as truncation is allowed, and voters have the opportunity to
learn how the method works, I don't think "weak" CWs would be a real
problem. If they're not "good enough" to win at all, people should not
be giving them votes.

Kevin Venzke