[EM] Voting by selecting a published ordering

Simmons, Forest simmonfo at up.edu
Fri May 19 14:31:25 PDT 2006

David Cary wrote

This example seems to contradict what I understood to be Forest's
earlier claim that a geometrically consistent election with 3
candidates always produced a Condorcet winner.  Am I missing something?

I reply:

Your example is geometrically consistent, but it does not meet the other requirement that I specified ... that each candidate has only one published list.  In other words, some of your voters are not located at a candidate position.

If you read my original  message again, you will see that I made that specification more than once, since the "selecting a published ordering" topic went beyond that, and I didn't want to give the impression that it applied in the case of other sets of published orderings.

Forest