[EM] Invitation for anyone to copy, web-post, or distribute my articles &/or postings

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Thu May 11 01:58:58 PDT 2006

Though I've retired from voting systems, I'd like to reply to e-mail that I
received yesterday, about permission to copy or use my voting system
material. It was pointed out to me in that e-mail that I haven't posted
anything about that, and of course I should--especially since I believe that
good information is more useful if it's made available to more people.

So:

I encourage anyone, other than Russ Paiellil, to freely use, however they
wish, any web article of mine on voting systems, any mailing-list posting of
mine on voting systems, or any private e-mail from me about voting systems.
Use it entire or in part.

By "use", I mean use it in any way. That includes, but is not necessarily
limited to, : Put it up at a website, distribute it via any medium, copy it,
quote from it. Have I left anything out?

Try not to change the wording, because when precision is important, changing
the wording tends to lose the meaning. But, if you do change the wording,
please indicate that you've changed the wording. That's my only requirement.

I have voting system articles at:

http://www.barnsdle.demon.co.uk/vote/sing.html

Jan mentioned that articles from the old electionmethods.org website (before
I withdrew permission for Russ to host my articles) is available in an
archive. Jan could tell you how to find it.

One caution, if you use articles from electionmethods: Russ heavily reworded
my articles that I sent to him. That often or usually changed the meaning,
or made the meaning vague and ambiguous. Several people have written to EM
to complain about that ambiguity or incorrect meanings. That was why I said
that Russ was (and is) unfit to host my articles. So: If you use articles
from elecionmethods.org, be warned that the wording may be all messed-up by
Russ's rewording.

I recommend, instead, my articles at the barnsdle website:

http://www.barnsdle.demon.co.uk/vote/sing.html

Yes, I know I gave that URL above, but no harm in stating it twice.

The only articles that are as good or better at the pre-falling-out
electionmethods website, as compared to the barnsdle website, are the
Approval strategy articles. That's because the more recent electionmethods
versions of those articles are the latest version. I invite the owner of the
barnsdle website to copy those articles to his website, from the archive
that Jan referred to, or to link to them there. Other than that, the
articles at the barnsdle website are the better ones, because their wording
hasn't been messed up.

But I've posted things to EM about Approval strategy that didn't make it
into a web article. Same with other topics too, which is why I include
mailing list postings, such as EM postings, among the material that I invite
you to use anytime any way.

It was brought to my attention that, some time after Russ's angry EM
postings about me, maybe even after my retirement from voting systems, Russ
Paielli put up, at his website, an angry message about me. I haven't looked
at it, and I've been told that he's since removed it, and so I can't comment
on it directly. But Russ tends to repeat his false statements, and so I can
guess what a few of them might have been.

I was the one who sent to Russ a Condorcet algorithm, in the form of a
Python program. I'd bought a book on Python, believing that I should send
the algorithm in a programming language. In hindsight, it would have been
easier, and just as good, to send it in pseudocode. When Russ was angry
because of my withdrawal of permission to host my articles, he made a few
false statements on EM about the Python program that I'd sent to him.

He said that he had explained to me that, by starting a line with a certain
symbol, that line becomes a comment, and the compiler or interpreter doesn
't interpret that line as a program line. He said that, after he'd taught
that to me, I'd  included with my Python program that I sent to him, a long
message, obviously a message to Russ, that was written with the program and
marked with the comment marker.

1. The "message" was not something obviously to Russ. It was something that
was obvioiusly to the user of the program. It was instructions to the user
of the program. That was obvious. But, in case it wasn't obvious, I'd
explicitly told Russ that that was what it was. But Russ isn't very
truthful, and I guess he felt that his incorrect account would make a good
story.

2. Russ didn't teach me about comment markers in program listings. Every
programming language has a symbol that it uses, at the beginning of a line,
to indicate that what is on that line is a comment, and that that line is
not a program line. I'd used a number of programming languages prior to that
time, and taken courses on some. I'd read that Python book, and, on pretty
much every page of that book were sample programs, with comments marked with
Python's comment marker. Russ did not teach me about comment markers.

After the falling-out, Russ said that the "amateur" algorithm (the one I'd
sent) had been replaced at his website with a "professional" one, one copied
from the Floyd algorithm and sent by Markus.

What was the difference between the amateur version and the professional
version? I used the obvious, intuitive, natural index ordering. The Floyd
algorithm changes the order of the index numbers in a few program lines. It
does that in order to greatly improve the execution speed, by allowing the
algorithm to need only one pass through the permutations.

When I found out that the Floyd algorithm was different from what I'd sent
to Russ, and that the Floyd algorithm was faster, I immediatrely e-mailed
Russ, and told him what I'd found out. I suggested leaving the algorithm
as-is, because 1) Execution time won't be a problem, and the obviousness and
natualness of the algorithm that I'd sent seemed more important; and 2)No
one had, at that time, demonstated to me that that Floyd algorithm is faster
in that way.

I'd repeatedly asked Markus to demonstrate that, but he didn't, and neither
did anyone else. Yes, now he might find the proof somewhere, and copy it and
post it here. During discussion on a different mailing list, just before my
retirement, I posted to that mailing list a demonstration that the Floyd
algorithm needs only one pass through the permutations. Markus was on that
mailing list, and so now he presumably knows why the Floyd algorithm is
faster.

Anyway, not having heard a demonstration, when I first heard that the Floyd
algorithm was different from, and faster than, what I'd sent to Russ, that
was one reason why I recommended to Russ that he leave the algorithm as-is.

That was a long time before the falling-out. But then, all of a sudden, Russ
acted as if he'd discovered that the Floyd algorithm was better, though he'd
been told about it long previous.

One other thing about the Python program that I'd sent to Russ: The Python
book that I'd bought was vague about how to use the multidimensional arrays.
Programming language books should be written either by the designer of the
programming language, or by a mathematician. Russ experimented till he found
how the multidemensional arrays are used. I didn't have Python, and so I
didn't use Python multidimensional arrays. I made multidimensional arrays
using Python's 1-dimensional array, and a function.

Speaking of new discoveries by Russ, made right after I withdrew permission
for him to host my articles, he also "discovered", at that time, that
everything I'd written was wrong. And, as I'd predicted in advance, he even
reversed his Condorcet advocacy, switching to a different Condorcet version.
As soon as I told him that I was the first proponent of winning-votes, Russ
began saying, for the first time, that margins was better than winning
votes. And no, Markus, I won't debate, again, with you whether I was was the
first proponent of winning-votes. (But I was).

Before the falling-out, Russ had said that I was a world-class expert on
voting systems, and maybe a genius. Immediately after the falling-out, Russ
began saying that I was a pathetic amateur. I mention that because it
demonstrates Russ's complete lack of honesty. I realize that this is
difficult to believe, because it's rare for someone to be like that, but
there's no reason to believe that Russ believes anything that he says. Maybe
he actually doesn't know the difference, doesn't know what honesty is.
You've heard  of pathological liars, and, with Russ, now you've met one.

While calling me all the names he could think of, Russ grandly praised
himself. I suggest to you that the great things that Russ said about himself
should be interpreted with reference to the fact that Russ has demonstrated
himself to be someone with no honesty, a pathalogical liar.

And no, the "flame-war" was not symmetrically two-sided. Though I
occasionally used namecalling, during legitimate voting system discussion,
when someone showed himself to be an ill-mannered idiot, Russ's namecalling
was of an entirely different nature. Russ used namecalling as a substitute
for valid argument, and that's a whold different thing. And it was not I who
devoted long postings (except just for this one) to evaluating another list
member, with no voting system comment in the posting.

That was what I wanted to say.

Mike Ossipoff