[EM] Voting by selecting a published ordering

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Tue May 16 05:47:51 PDT 2006

At 11:13 PM 5/15/2006, David Cary wrote:
>Does geometric consistency mean here that the candidates and voters
>can be represented by points in some space so that a voter prefers
>candidate A over Candidate B iff the voter is "closer" to A than to
>B?

The idea of a selection space is appealing. If we consider a space
consisting of dimensions corresponding to "issues," which must be
defined quite generally, and which would include every possible
characteristic of a candidate which would influence the choice of the
voter, with the scale of each dimension corresponding to the
importance of the characteristic, and we further define
"characteristic" as being as perceived by the voter, I'd think a
properly-designed selection space would be pretty accurate in predicting votes.

The problem is that it would predict the choices of that voter, not
of all voters in general. The problem is this "as perceived by the
voter," which is individual to each voter. Many politicians, in
particular, try to distort these perceptions, to cause voters to
misplace them and their opponents, and these distortions affect
different voters to different degrees, not only because of differing
characteristicts of the voters, but also of the accidents of
exposure: not all voters see all campaign materials.

*However,* if we imagine a perfect election, with every voter equally
informed and with equal time to consider the issues, and we create a
composite selection space which averages the dimensions and scales
across the voters, selection space would not be perfect, but would be
a first approach to analyzing ideal voter behavior, and therefore
could be useful in analyzing the behavior of different election methods.

Range Voting allows the expression of one dimension of analysis,
considering distances. If one takes the selection space of an
individual voter, and collapses it to a one-dimensional scale, being
the absolute distance of the voter's ideal candidate from each of the
actual candidates, Range Voting does represent more accurately the
preferences of voters, and functions to sum the distances over all
the voters, in a way. If we assume that distances are proportional to
perceived benefit, then, Range Voting does produce results from
selection spaces. If voters vote sincerely, that is, they accurately
weigh and measure the relative benefits of the election of each
candidate, and do not distort these results by aiming toward a desired outcome.

I.e., if I think A is 10, B is 5, and C is 0, I don't decide "I want
A," and therefore vote 0 for both B and C.

There seems to be some wide agreement that Range is a quite desirable
method, disagreement being mostly on whether or not voters will
distort their votes like this, or will, as Warren Smith claims,
generally vote sincerely. While Smith has some evidence to support
his position, the evidence is not strong, in my opinion, being
gathered from polls rather than actual elections. Hopefully, in the
future, we will have actual election results which can be analyzed.
Nevertheless, before then, Range should certainly be considered in
election circumstances were most voters can be expected to vote
sincerely; there are many such contexts. It will be its behavior in
"hot" contests that will be of broader interest.