[EM] Voting by selecting a published ordering

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Sat May 13 20:22:48 PDT 2006

At 01:47 PM 5/13/2006, Steve Eppley wrote:
>Abd ul-Rahman Lomax wrote:
> > At 10:38 PM 5/12/2006, Simmons, Forest wrote:
>-snip-
> >> So most of the time, in the context of Candidate Published
> Orderings, Concorcet will
> >> yield an unambiguous social ordering of the candidates, with no
> cycles to resolve.
>-snip-
> >> I would say that's amazing, and extremely relevant to the topic
> of this thread.
>-snip-
>
>I think an assumption undergirding that conclusion is questionable.

Note that Eppley is answering Simmons here, not me.

>  Given a voting method
>that tends to elect a candidate within the sincere top cycle,
>candidates trying to win
>will tend to position themselves more closely on more issues than
>they do under existing
>voting methods.

This is speculative, isn't it?

>   With smaller distances between candidates, other quirky effects that are
>hard to predict or analyze will become relatively stronger.

If the analysis was correct, the absolute value of the distances, I'd
think, would not be important. Further, if we assume that candidates
are elected based on their "positions" on issues, then, if they
position themselves identically, *it does not matter which one is
elected.* Of course, there are other considerations. The analysis
presumed some kind of space occupied by candidates, with a distance
from each candidate to another. This may have nothing to do with
"positions" on issues. Or it may have everything to do with them.

The assumption is that preference between candidates is based on
n-space distance. It's a loose concept, but got one better?

Simmons wrote:

>Actually, I did not assume that there was any linear or two
>dimensional relationship. You can use any measure of closeness that
>you want, linear, non-linear, ten dimensional, or infinite
>dimensional (for example the norm of the difference of the quantuum
>mechanical wave functions of the candidates, if you like).
>
>My only assumption is that there is some measure d of distance that
>(for each pair of candidates A and B) satisfies  d(A,B)=d(B,A) , and
>that when  d(A,B)<d(A,C), consistency requires that candidate A rank
>candidate B ahead of candidate C .
>
>These distances are numbers, so they can be linearly ordered.

Eppley continues:

>   If candidates (and their
>supporters) do not agree on the importance of the issues--for
>example, some may care much
>more about abortion, some may care much more about taxes, some may
>care much more about
>health care, some may care more about corruption, etc.--then cycles
>may not be so rare.

Justification for this claim?

>-snip--
> > I'd prefer the flexibility of Asset Voting to the fixed process
> of Candidate Published
> > Ordering, for the latter could still create a minority winner,
> unless the rules
> > prohibited that.
>-snip-
>
>I'm unsure what the writer meant here by "Candidate Published
>Ordering" and by "minority
>winner."

Candidate Published Ordering is a standard fixed election method
(assuming that the method used for counting is one that always --
exact ties excepted -- produces a winner. Any fixed election method,
necessarily, can create a minority winner, which means a winner not
approved by a majority of voters. "Approved" is a rather loose
concept, but one measure would be that a majority of voters would
prefer an immediate rerun of the election, with new debate and
preferably new candidates (but including the previous 'minority' winner.)

If the voters were presented with a separate question, after the
election, "Shall the results of the election be accepted and the
winner take office?", a majority would vote No. That's a "minority winner."

>   When I wrote weeks ago about candidates' publishing pre-election
> orderings, I
>didn't specify how the votes should be tallied, so in my mind we're
>writing about a family
>of voting methods.

Technically, yes. But the method assumes that it is a ranked method.
It *could* be IRV, but given the nature of the process, which is much
simpler to count than standard full-Condorcet methods, because of the
limited number of ballots in the final tallying process, there would
seem to be no reason not to use a fully-Condorcet qualified method.
And what Simmons claimed was that his analysis shows that cycles
would be quite rare. If cycles are quite rare, it is reasonable to
use Condorcet alone, with no cycle resolution process within the
method, dealing with cycles as an election failure. Election failures
happen even with plurality. (Things happen, such as the loss of a
large number of ballots, the discovery of massive fraud, etc. Courts
have been known to order elections to be held all over again.)

>   I wrote then that tallying by MAM would be good, and in some later
>messages mentioned a simple system using candidate withdrawal and
>plurality rule.  On the
>other hand, some methods in this family would be quite poor, such as
>tallying by Borda,
>which would encourage nomination of a farcically large number of
>inferior clones.

Perhaps. It is not clear what would happen with Candidate-List. But
there is no reason to use Borda.

>I don't know where the dividing line is between "rules prohibiting a
>minority winner" and
>rules that define a member of this large family of voting methods.

Under plurality, a rule prohibiting a minority winner would be a rule
that requires that the winner obtain a majority vote to win. It gets
more complicated with, say, IRV or Condorcet methods, but a
requirement might be, for example, that ballots only be analyzed,
say, two or three candidates deep. If there is no majority winner
with such a truncated set of ballots, then the election has failed.
(But if there is such a majority winner, the ballot analysis would be
continued...}

But more direct would be an Approval cutoff on the ballots, common
with some Condorcet methods.

>Is a "minority winner" a candidate not in the sincere top cycle?

Top cycles, I think, imply that at least one, if winning, would be a
minority winner. But the definition is not clear from a simple ranked
ballot, there would have to be an approval cutoff.
5: A>B>C>D
4: B>C>D>A
3: C>D>A>B
3: D>A>B>C