[EM] Voting by selecting a published ordering

Simmons, Forest simmonfo at up.edu
Fri May 12 19:38:52 PDT 2006

Paul,

Actually, I did not assume that there was any linear or two dimensional relationship. You can use any measure of closeness that you want, linear, non-linear, ten dimensional, or infinite dimensional (for example the norm of the difference of the quantuum mechanical wave functions of the candidates, if you like).

My only assumption is that there is some measure d of distance that (for each pair of candidates A and B) satisfies  d(A,B)=d(B,A) , and that when  d(A,B)<d(A,C), consistency requires that candidate A rank candidate B ahead of candidate C .

These distances are numbers, so they can be linearly ordered.

In fact, when there are n candidates, there are C(n,2) of these pairwise distances, which can be ordered in C(n,2)! ways.  Each of these orderings is in an equivalence class of size n! obtained by permuting the candidates. So there are at most C(n,2)!/n! distinct geometrically consistent cases.

If n=3, then C(n,2)=3, and C(n,2)!=n!, so there is only one distinct geometrically consistent case.

If n=4, then C(n,2)=6, and C(n,2)!=720, and n!=24, so that leaves 720/24=30 geometrically distinct cases.  If you will write out all thirty of these cases (as I have), you can verify for yourself that only one of them fails to always have a Condorcet Winner.

In the process you will see that only one of them (a different one) fails to always have a Condorcet Loser, as well.

So most of the time, in the context of Candidate Published Orderings, Concorcet will yield an unambiguous social ordering of the candidates, with no cycles to resolve.

More importantly (and precisely) it means that if the four candidates accurately judge their relative closeness to each other (and vote sincerely) then there is only one chance in 240 that there will not be a Condorcet Winner.

Why 1/240 instead of 1/30?  Because, as I mentioned in my previous message, even in the one case where there is not always a Condorcet Winner, only one eighth of the distributions of the voters among the four factions will result in a cycle.

I would say that's amazing, and extremely relevant to the topic of this thread.

Forest