[EM] Proportional Condorcet Voting

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Mon May 1 12:56:10 PDT 2006

At 03:29 PM 5/1/2006, Simmons, Forest wrote:
>However, suppose that instead of comparing all C(N,K) of the K
>candidate subsets, we just compare all submitted proposals,
>including those sets that would be elected by STV under various
>rules (Droop Quota, etc.).  There might be ten thousand such
>proposals. But that would only require  C(10000, 2) = 49995000
>comparisons, a few seconds of CPU time on a second rate computer.

Yes, the objections to Condorcet proposals based on computational
intractability are pretty silly, based only on a theoretical idea
that all possible rankings will exist in the ballot population. But
the ballot population is a limited set, with almost certainly a high
degree of reduncancy. Systems that require all voters to rank all
candidates make it worse, to be sure, but even that will have a lot
of redundancy in it.

However, I'm not sure why one needs Condorcet Voting for PR.

Asset Voting should create a very accurate, non-party-list PR
assembly rather directly. Asset Voting, though, requires a
deliberative or bargaining step, which is a rather new idea, as the
election method itself does not suffice, without candidate action
after the election, to determine all the winners (it only determines
those who gain the quota in the initial balloting).

However, if Published Rankings are provided by candidates prior to
the poll and are used to automatically reassign votes, it might be
possible to have direct winner determination.

All excess or unused votes would be subject to reassignment. There
are details to be specified, to be sure. It's obvious what to do with
a winner's excess votes: they go to the next position on the winner's
Published Ranking. But it is the votes of those who don't gain the
quota in the first round that are not so obvious. I'd guess,
off-hand, that they would be reassigned with the lowest vote-getters
first. In this case, it might not be so problematic as that is with IRV.

If there are N candidates and any one of them has the direct and sole
support of 1/N of the voters, that candidate would be elected
immediately. Many, perhaps most winners would win like this, unless
there were a very large number of candidates with distributed popularity.

I prefer conscious, deliberate, and negotiated transfer of votes,
i.e., deliberative process, which I consier would be quite safe in
the formation of a large PR assembly, but an automatic system could
work pretty well.