[EM] STV-CLE

Dan Bishop daniel-j-bishop at neo.tamu.edu
Fri May 5 23:02:12 PDT 2006

I've made passing mention of my STV-CLE method (the CLE stands for
Condorcet Loser Elimination) a couple of times, but the recent
"Proportional Condorcet Voting" thread encouraged me to finally give it
a decent introduction.

Essentially, STV-CLE is just like STV, except that instead of
eliminating the candidate with the fewest first-choice votes, you
eliminate the Condorcet (completion) loser.  I've included a vote
calculator (using Beatpath ranking) in the attached file (requires
Python 2.4 with GMPY).

An interesting result occurs when the voters are on a unform linear
spectrum (i.e., voters = [random.uniform(0, 1) for i in
xrange(num_voters)], and ballots are ranked by the distance between
candidates and voters).  If there are candidates sufficiently close in
position to multiples of the quota (except at the end of the spectrum),
they will be elected.  That is, a 1-seat election will elect a candidate
near 1/2; a 2-seat election will elect candidates near 1/3 and 2/3; a
3-seat election will elect candidates near 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4; etc.