[EM] Real IRV Election, Disputable Result

radio deli radiodeli at adelphia.net
Sun Mar 12 08:28:48 PST 2006

Dear Jan,

I saw your post on the Elections Methods List.  As a Vermont legislator, we may have to decide the issue of IRV on a statewide basis.  To be honest, I'm not very enthusiastic about IRV.  I would prefer to support the candidate (not plural) of my choice, and if a runoff must occur between candidates I didn't support, then make a new decision based on the contest at hand.

What are the problems you see with IRV?  Could you explain them in a way that people without a statistics degree (like me) could comprehend?  I hope you have a chance to respond---you seem quite knowledgeable on the topic!

Best Regards,
Rep. Jim Condon
Colchester, VT