[EM] proxies and confidentiality

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Wed Mar 1 19:38:02 PST 2006

At 04:04 PM 3/1/2006, Eric Gorr wrote:
>Aaarg...The United States ISN'T a democracy - at least not yet and
>let's hope it
>never truly becomes one.

Well, it has some democracy in it. But mostly, yes, it is not a democracy.

As to hopes for the future, Mr. Gorr can hope what he likes, but
democracy is the future, albeit a democracy unlike anything we have ever seen.

I define "democracy" as government by consent of the people, and the
greater the consent, the more perfect the democracy. It will never be
100%, but it is far below that level now.

>"The word "democracy" appears in neither of our founding documents -- the
>Declaration of Independence nor the U.S. Constitution.
>Our nation's founders had disdain for democracy and majority rule."

Yes, they did. They did a lot of things unworthy of imitation. And
they did a few things right as well.

("Majority rule" is a very poor standard for democracy, it is only
superior to "minority rule.")

I wonder what would be thought of Abraham Lincoln's comments about
government of the people, by the people, and for the people. Mere rhetoric?

Yes, Iraq does not need simple "majority rule," which is a formula
for disaster there. It needs something much better, though, not some
kind of oligarchical control. That's what it has had for a long time.
Republic is not a bad word, but "republic" really doesn't tell one
much about the actual power structure. You can have a democratic
republic, and one which is not.