[EM] On Naming and Advocacy

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Fri Jun 23 06:12:21 PDT 2006

At 09:31 PM 6/22/2006, Jan Kok wrote:
>On 6/22/06, Simmons, Forest <simmonfo at up.edu> wrote:
>
> > If we unite with IRV supporters to enact ranked ballots, on the condition
> > that the "back end" will be decided later, then we can get ranked ballots
> > enacted, and the back end decided in a less charged atmosphere.  Many IRV
> > supporters, will come over to our side.
>
>This sounds like signing a contract with someone when some important
>terms have been left unspecified. That sort of thing makes _me_ very
>uncomfortable.

Perhaps. But if the agreement is on a point which brings the parties
*closer* to agreement, this is called *negotiation*, and it is a
normal and essential part of deliberative democracy. It is also a
normal part of standard business practice.

>Why do you think the atmosphere will be less "charged" later?

As the parties approach agreement, the differences become less. What
is controversial today, even hotly controversial, may approach
consensus later. It's normal.

>Do you have any examples (perhaps in other types of activism) where
>that approach has worked?

As I mentioned, it is so common that it is difficult to think of
specific examples. Let me think.... I'm buying a house and we have an
inspection contingency. The inspection uncovered a few problems, one
major, the others minor. To come to an agreement on the major issue
will take time, but we agreed upon and settled all the other issues.
The seller agreed to extend the inspection contingency time in order
to give both of us time.

This is a contract-in-progress that begins with an understanding that
there are issues which cannot be resolved until later. Certain
aspects are fixed and settled, others, even critical issues, are left
until later.

Normal, standard practice.

In politics as well, I'm sure. In reality, not necessarily in
appearance, since present structures encourage the exaggeration of
differences. If this was not done, the whole thing would grind to a halt.