[EM] On Naming and Advocacy

Jan Kok jan.kok.5y at gmail.com
Thu Jun 22 18:31:05 PDT 2006

On 6/22/06, Simmons, Forest <simmonfo at up.edu> wrote:

> If we unite with IRV supporters to enact ranked ballots, on the condition
> that the "back end" will be decided later, then we can get ranked ballots
> enacted, and the back end decided in a less charged atmosphere.  Many IRV
> supporters, will come over to our side.

This sounds like signing a contract with someone when some important
terms have been left unspecified. That sort of thing makes _me_ very
uncomfortable.

Why do you think the atmosphere will be less "charged" later?

Do you have any examples (perhaps in other types of activism) where
that approach has worked?

Cheers,
- Jan