[EM] multi-method combo

RLSuter at aol.com RLSuter at aol.com
Thu Jun 8 07:56:17 PDT 2006

<< I choke on your collection of methods: >>

What kind of comment is that? If you disagree with something,
just say so and explain why. Hyperemotionalistic comments
like this just muddy the waters and don't clarify anything except
the apparently agitated state of the writer's mind. They are
also disrespectful and often lead to debates that are more
personal than rational in nature, thereby detracting from serious
discussion of the issue(s) in question.

The idea of combining methods in the way suggested is
something I've considered in the past and have actually
suggested on this list as a way of discouraging strategic
voting, but as I recall no one ever commented - maybe
because I wasn't specific or clear enough in what I was
suggesting.

In any case, the combination of methods described was
clearly presented as an example. The important question
is not whether that particular combination of methods would
be desirable but whether ANY such combination would be
preferable to a single voting method. I don't claim to know
the answer and am interested in what others have to say
about this.

-Ralph Suter