[EM] Debian leader 2006

raphfrk at netscape.net raphfrk at netscape.net
Thu Jul 13 04:20:57 PDT 2006

From: Warren Smith <wds at math.temple.edu>
> I suspect RobL's method for converting ranked ballots to range and
approval
> ballots tends to be distortionary and favor better known candidates
as opposed
> to better candidates.   (I.e. unknowns maybe tend to be left unranked
> by the voters).  Or I just converted the data wrong.

A better way would probably be to assume voters vote strategically.
Perhaps an iterative method

e.g.

1) All voters approve of the candidate at their approval threshold and
above.

2) This threshold is set at their first choice initially.

3) Run count

4) Any ballot which doesn't approve of one of the top 2 approved
candidates has
its approval threshold moved down 1 rank.

5) If the threshold on any ballot changed due to step 4, goto step 3)

6) The candidate with the highest approval "wins"

In fact, I wonder if that might be a good way to count ranked ballots,
rather than using
IRV or condorcet.  Has something like that been suggested before ?

Also, if voters are allowed to skip ranks, then compromising could be
incorporated
into a ballot.

For example: