[EM] Burr dilemma in Portugal 1986 / wrong way elections / approval voting / IRV failures

Warren Smith wds at math.temple.edu
Fri Jul 14 13:52:08 PDT 2006

I made a long list of "wrong way elections" thru history at
http://www.RangeVoting.org/FunnyElections.html
and also discussed it in this wikipedia article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrong-way_elections

Unfortunately certain wikipedists attacked and want to remove this article.
If you wish, you can express your support for keeping it, by going there, clicking
on the box thing at the start of the article saying "article under protest"
and defending the article, and/or improve the article yourself by editing it.

Some interesting facts from this collection of historical examples includes
  1.  runoff failed to deliver the Condorcet winner (whom I believe in these cases was
clearly the right winner to have) in Chile 1970 and Peru 2006 as well as perhaps
in several other (less clear) cases.

  2. Approval Voting plausibly would have failed due to "Burr Dilemma" in Portugal 1986,
see
   http://www.RangeVoting.org/BurrDilemma.html

  3. It is not clear to me but it is plausible that some Condorcet systems and/or
Range Voting would have delivered the "right winner" in every case inthe big table.
It would take considerable research (or perhaps it just is impossible to say)
whether and when that was true.  Particularly unlcear are certain plurality elections
with a large number of candidates in which I have no idea who the "right winner"
should have been, some of these listed on the right hand side of the big table as
an aside to the Liberia 2005 entry in red print.   Those kind of elections
are nearly random.

  4. plurality really fails a lot, numerous examples tabulated.
Warren Smith
http://www.rangevoting.org