[EM] Description of range voting algorithm?

Matthew Welland matt at kiatoa.com
Wed Jul 12 19:43:03 PDT 2006

Yeah I figured it out shortly after I sent the email. The average bothers me.
Do blanks count as 0? If so (and it makes sense to me) then there is no need
to average - the sum is just as meaningful as the average. It might even be
more intellectually satisfying to normalize to the number of total voters.

Matt
-
On Wednesday 12 July 2006 00:33, David Cary wrote:
> --- Matthew Welland <matt at kiatoa.com> wrote:
>
> > Do you just add up the votes for each candidate? I dug around
> > www.rangevoting.org and it wasn't obvious to me. The arguments for
> > range
> > voting seem strong. Are there any well written dissenting articles?
> > A google
> > search yielded nothing.
>
> It is tucked away where nobody would ever look -- at the top of the
> home page:  candidates are evaluated on the basis of their average
> score (of the non-X'ed ballots), and on reaching a threshhold for the
> percentage of ballots that are not X'ed.
>
> I thought the critique of Condorcet voting was somewhat of a strawman
> argument, since it was dependent on voting with complete, strict
> preferences or on poor implementation of basic strategy.
>
> Range voting doesn't satisfy the Condorcet criterion.  But regarding
> Condorcet winners, the real question is under which conditions will
> Range voting elect the Condorcet candidate?
>
> -- David Cary

http://www.kiatoa.com, a self-governing site where *you* can be the boss!
  You make and choose the stories and the classifieds are always free.
     Also, many "best of" polls. Come join in the ballot stuffing!