[EM] Description of range voting algorithm?

David Cary dcarysysb at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 12 00:33:56 PDT 2006

--- Matthew Welland <matt at kiatoa.com> wrote:

> Do you just add up the votes for each candidate? I dug around
> www.rangevoting.org and it wasn't obvious to me. The arguments for
> range
> voting seem strong. Are there any well written dissenting articles?
> A google
> search yielded nothing.

It is tucked away where nobody would ever look -- at the top of the
home page:  candidates are evaluated on the basis of their average
score (of the non-X'ed ballots), and on reaching a threshhold for the
percentage of ballots that are not X'ed.

I thought the critique of Condorcet voting was somewhat of a strawman
argument, since it was dependent on voting with complete, strict
preferences or on poor implementation of basic strategy.

Range voting doesn't satisfy the Condorcet criterion.  But regarding
Condorcet winners, the real question is under which conditions will
Range voting elect the Condorcet candidate?

-- David Cary