[EM] Mass Candidates

Stephane Rouillon stephane.rouillon at sympatico.ca
Mon Jul 3 18:52:28 PDT 2006

Hi Dave,

any system that would leave a default value for unvalued/unranked/unapproved
candidates would help. Personnaly, I would suggest:
A) Let the voter precise the score, rank or state of all unexpressed
preferences;
B) I favor preference-style ballots over simple approbational ballots;
C) I favor ranking systems over scoring sytems.

The reason behid B) is that I think preferences help to get a more sincere
result
because the added details are worth more than the strategical opportunities
in my humble opinion.  I wrote C) for the same reason.
A) leaves the choice to the voter to specify hoped winners, hoped losers or
both.
Any preferential system that can treat equalities like IRV or Ranked Pairs
(wv)
could fit.  Still, voters should know in advance how a blank (All others)
value
would be interpreated. I hope it helps.

For example, I could vote:

Candidate 12 -> 1st rank