[EM] Mass Candidates

Jan Kok jan.kok.5y at gmail.com
Mon Jul 3 08:37:57 PDT 2006

Seems unreasonable to expect the voters to know 500 candidates. The
winner would likely be someone who is well known to many of the
voters, though not necessarily in a way that makes the winner
qualified for the job (Schwartzenegger), or the winner might be very
popular with a plurality of the voters, but disliked by everyone else
(David Duke, Jean-Marie Le Pen).

I would suggest requiring candidates to collect signatures (people
should be allowed to sign more than one petition, unlike Texas). This
narrows down the field to those candidates who are motivated to go
after the job, or who have lots of supporters who are willing to help
gather signatures. Then the 10 candidates who get the most signatures
would be qualified as candidates (could still have write-ins) and
could campaign before the election was held.

As you imply, candidates listed near the top of the ballot are more
likely to win. That effect can be alleviated by "rotating" the
candidate names, starting different ballots with different candidate
names.

Which voting method should be used? Well, I like Range Voting (or
Score Voting, I prefer to call it). RangeVoting.org. I believe it
chooses winners with better social utility than other practical
methods.

Cheers,
- Jan