[EM] Election methods in student government...

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Sun Dec 24 22:15:37 PST 2006

At 12:44 AM 12/22/2006, Tim Hull wrote:
>The ideas you put forth are quite interesting, to say the least.  To
>tell you the truth, I have been working on more ways to make student
>government more accessible than using a system of proportional
>representation rather than allowing the majority faction to grab all
>seats.  One of my ideas was to in fact create an "associate
>representative" position where students who show up at a certain
>number of meetings can speak but not vote.  From the sounds of it,
>delegable proxy has much of the same idea behind it, except the
>representatives decide who they want to designate as proxies and it
>can be multilevel (proxy of a proxy, etc).  Also, they have the
>right to vote...

Well, if the system is direct democracy, any qualified member of the
organization can vote. However, most won't, most of the time. The
arguments allowing direct democracy mostly assume that most people
won't be qualified to vote, i.e., won't have put in the time to
understand the issues, etc. It's actually antidemocratic nonsense;
what really happens is that if people don't feel qualified to vote, they don't.

Now, if you made voting very, very easy, you might indeed get a lot
of noise, i.e., uninformed votes. I don't know. But if you still
require that voters show up at the meeting in order to vote directly,
you don't have to risk this. It might still not happen even if you
allow internet voting, especially if the process for voting required,
for example, the voter to state that they have read the record of the
debate....

But if voters are present at the meeting where debate takes place,
what is the argument for not allowing them to vote?

Yes, it is contradictory to representative democracy. Supposedly
there are already representatives there who will be casting, in
effect, "their" vote. But if you have delegable proxy, that doesn't
happen. If a voter votes directly, the proxy is moot for that poll.
To determine a vote count under DP, you take the list of voters and
how they voted and expand it with the proxy assignment list. You only
add votes from voters who did not already vote, but who have a proxy
who voted.... or their proxy did not vote, but *his or her* proxy did, etc.

>Currently, proxy voting is expressly prohibited in the rules of our
>student government.

Absolutely not surprising. It is common. Why?

One thing that should be realized: direct democracy means that votes
aren't secret, generally. Certainly the vote of a proxy can't be
secret! (Unless you have a system which, say, gives out ballots to
proxies; much more complicated that what I am proposing. Generally,
secret voting is not part of deliberative process....)

Consider the effect of outlawing proxy voting: it makes it much more
difficult for students to actually exercise power, unless they invest
much more time than many of them have. It leaves power in the hands
of a much smaller group of students, typically those with strong
political interests or aspirations.

Remember this: proxy voting is a common-law right whenever property
rights are involved. Were it not explicitly prohibited, it would
probably be lawful. Shareholders in corporations insisted on proxy
voting, it is in *their* interests. (In share corporation democracy,
the institution of the proxy has somewhat been corrupted by the
common practice of existing management soliciting proxies from
shareholders, at company expense. Since many shareholders don't
realize the implications, these proxy solicitations get signed and
turned in, particularly by small shareholders, but a lot of them, and
thus existing management has an edge. And a clear conflict of interest.....)

>   However, it could be changed by a simple two-thirds vote - which
> may be something I may look into as an alternative to the
> "associate representative" plan I originally created.

Generally, bylaws may be amended either by a two-thirds vote *or* by
a simple but absolute majority. At least that is Roberts Rules.
(i.e., this would be a majority of all eligible voters.) Worth keeping in mind.

>   Those ideas will face opposition, though - many don't like the
> associate representative idea because they are only representing themselves.

But if proxy voting were allowed ....

The big problem with proxy voting is that it can be abused *if* few
students name proxies. In other words, proxy voting gives the
membership power. But if most members don't exercise that power, by
naming a proxy they trust, then a few members may collect proxies and
appear and overwhelm those who directly participate. This tends to
get them upset! And these members then, being the most generally
active ones, may act to outlaw proxy voting. And sometimes they succeed.

>   The proxy idea could potentially be better in this regard, as the
> representative is the one with control.  I don't know about
> multilevel proxy (in a student government it sounds like overkill),
> but a flexible proxy system seems to be something worth looking in to.

Delegable proxy seems overkill, but it is actually quite simple, and
delegability only affects things when it is needed. In other words,
if you name a proxy, and the proxy actually attends, then
delegability is moot. But what happens if your proxy misses a meeting?

Now, if you trust your proxy, why not trust the person your proxy
trusts? This is the idea behind delegable proxy.

Further, DP is scalable. It does not matter how large the
organization is, with DP you can function as a direct democracy.
Essentially, DP can boil down working meeting size to whatever degree
is necessary. But since direct voting is still allowed, this small
working group can't run away with the organization. They still have
to convince the *voters*. And there will be proxies who don't hold
enough proxies to directly participate in deliberation, but they can
still, for example, attend meetings, and they can still vote. They
can also speak if they get permission, and I presume that meetings
would allow some time, say at the end, for general comments from
members present.... and, of course, they can effectively speak
through their proxy, the one with sufficient trust to have full
deliberation rights.

It isn't really "multilevel" proxy if there is only one meeting.....
It is simply that the proxy who represents each voter may shift,
depending on who attends. The proxy list only has one proxy per
student. It is a very simple list.

(There are details that I'm not going into, and, unfortunately, we
don't have any working models to show how decisions were made about
these details. There are, for example, many different ways that could
be used to determine who has direct participation rights, i.e., the
right to speak and enter motions. "proxy rank" is one. There are others.)

>That said, I really don't like the process of asset voting - which
>seems like a separate idea than proxies.

Yes, but it is the concept of proxy voting applied to secret ballot
and also to creating a peer assembly, if that is desired.

>   This is because it takes control away from the voter in much the
> same way party lists do except that each candidate is effectively a "party".

Big difference!

It doesn't take control away from the voter except in the sense that
*any* election of representatives takes control away from the voter.
Do I get to go to Congress and vote? No!

Now, if I would trust A to represent me in Congress, why not trust A
to *select* the person who would represent me in Congress? Indeed,
much of the real job of elected officials, including representatives,
is in selecting staff and delegating responsibility to them. A
representative who is not good at this is not going to be a good
representative....

>   It sounds like an interesting system, but one that would only be
> useful in special cases.  As far as voting systems, I'm probably
> either going to look into proposing STV and IRV (yes, I know IRV
> isn't great, but it satisfies the later-no-harm principle important
> to students and is familiar) or some variant of range/approval (if
> later-no-harm violation is less of a problem).
>
>Overall, I'm just hoping I can do something to open up participation
>and make the student government here more useful to students.  I
>actually was appointed to a vacancy one year ago and have been
>working on issues of participation and electoral reform for a long
>time.  I actually have lost two multi-seat elections - one by a lot,
>and the last one by one spot (10th with 9 winners) with 9
>majority-party members finishing ahead of me.  I do chair a
>committee, though (and get non-voting parliamentary rights because
>of it - though a person tried to abolish that after i started to USE them...).

That will happen.

>Tim
>
>P.S. Am I understanding correctly what you mean by "delegable proxy"?

Understand what "proxy" means. A proxy is someone who exercises a
right that you could exercise directly, if you could be present (or
competent; for example, health-care proxies make health care
decisions for you when you aren't able to do so yourself).

Delegable proxy means that your proxy may designate someone further
to exercise the right if the proxy cannot do it.

For simplicity, we assume that only one proxy is named. If everyone
names one proxy, this will, neglecting loops, create a system that
insures everyone is represented at any meeting. But, of course, there
will be loops. Some students of DP consider loops a problem, I don't.
All that needs to be done when loops in a proxy list lead to lack of
representation -- everyone in the loop is absent -- is to inform the
members who are so collectively absent. The loop is broken if any
member names someone outside the loop.

We think that such a system will tend to become one in which there
are a few large natural caucuses. These are people connected by proxy
assignments. With such large caucuses, total absence would be rare.

There would still be quorum requirements, but instead of referring to
numbers of members directly present, they would refer to numbers of
members present directly or represented by proxy. Delegable proxy
simply assumes that the proxy of a proxy serves in the absence of the
proxy.....  and that this is extended indefinitely. That's what makes
is scalable.

So for DP, this would be a basic description of what you might have:

1. Direct democracy. Any member may attend meetings and vote.
2. A Proxy list. Likely maintained on the internet; any member may
edit their proxy record at any time. We have tended to think that
proxies should be accepted to be effective....
3. A practice of expanding direct votes at meetings using the proxy
list. It is not difficult to generate a printout of a proxy list such
that one can determine the expanded vote from a list of direct votes.
On a computer, it is trivial. However, note that with DP, it becomes
possible to shrink meetings substantially without losing diversity,
and this makes consensus democracy, at least to some degree, more
possible. And when you have consensus, expanding votes becomes much
less important! You would only do it on request, or later, for the record....

We suggest that proxies be accepted because we consider that being a
proxy is a responsibility: it is essentially an agreement to
communicate with the client. If I were a client, I'd want the phone
number of my proxy, I'd want to be able to call him or her up and
talk about issues. This militates against a single person collecting
a huge number of proxies *directly*. Indirectly is another matter.
Indirectly, one proxy could represent even billions of people.... but
through delegability.