[EM] RE : RE : Comments on the Yee/Bolson/et.al. pictures

Brian Olson bolson at bolson.org
Fri Dec 22 23:54:15 PST 2006

In the outlying areas of two or more color fuzz the mixed colors are
effectively getting tied all the time and a random winner among the
tied winners chosen, thus random fuzz.

These areas usually occur when the center of the population is more
than one standard deviation away from all of the candidates. Given a
bunch of bad choices, it's easy for two of them to be relatively
close to each other and always on the same side of the mean candidate
distance for all the voters.

Hopefully those qualitative descriptions of what I think is going on
make sense.

As for utility function, I tried 1/(dx+dy) instead of 1/sqrt(dx^2 +
dy^2) and the result just looked weird to me. (dx+dy) just isn't
normal distance in space as I'm used to it. I'll probably soon try
linear falloff (1-r) instead of exponential (1/r).