[EM] Election methods in student government...

Tim Hull thully at umich.edu
Fri Dec 22 05:48:42 PST 2006

The method sounds interesting and all... but I think we're going to end up
doing something a little more *traditional* in this regard.  Asset voting et
al is off the table - though it does sound like an interesting idea.

At this point, I'd say the choice is between IRV/STV and some form of
range/approval voting (for single and multi-winner elections).  The issue of
later-no-harm may come into play, though, and cause IRV/STV to be the
choice...  As it is, students tend to bullet vote under the current system
for multi-candidate elections, and it would be good to try to eliminate this
(which systems failing later-no-harm won't do).

MMPO sounds like it has too many drawbacks to be a suitable IRV replacement
in this regard...  Does anyone have any suggestions as far as improvements
to IRV that improve performance while maintaining later-no-harm OR systems
that come close to satisfying later-no-harm (It seems like some Condorcet
methods might - especially those that fail later-no-help).  I'm looking for
single as well as multi-winner (most of the elections are multi-winner,
though there are executive elections and a few others that are
single-seat...).

Currently, the best option I have seen as far as IRV is the candidate
withdrawal variant - where a candidate can withdraw and force a recount.

Thanks for all the advice, though, and I will be looking into everything
when discussing this...

Tim