[EM] RE : Re: Election methods in student government...

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Fri Dec 22 01:11:31 PST 2006

Too late at night to remember exactly what LNH means but, assuming it
REALLY calls IRV better than Condorcet, I have to offer a compensating
example.

Given:
   37 A
   31 B<C
   32 C

Condorcet and IRV will agree with humans who look at the numbers without
studying election methods - that C is liked better than B, and twice as
deserving as A, thus that C is the proper winner.

Now add in two troublemakers who came in late and see what they can do:
      2 A - C still wins.
      2 B - IRV declares A the winner, while this does not disturb
Condorcet (there is a cycle - 37A>33B>32C while 65C>37A).
      2 C - C still wins.

What it all means:  Condorcet looks at all that the voters say, while IRV
takes shortcuts.

DWK

On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 11:51:53 -0500 Tim Hull wrote:

> OK, wasn?t sure about Condorcet - I knew that to meet the Condorcet
> criterion with a voting method you had to violate later-no-harm, but not
> that the finding of a Condorcet winner in and of itself violated LNH.
> Thanks for clearing that up...
>
> Regarding the single winner methods, it seems that IRV or MMPO may be
> the way to go there if one wants to maintain later-no-harm.  Range seems
> to be a good choice with respect to non-LNH compliant methods, and
> reweighted range for multi-winner.
>
> I?m curious - is there any other multi-winner PR methods (besides STV)
> that satisfy later-no-harm, exclusing variants of party list and asset?
> Also, what tie-breaking methods for IRV/STV/MMPO satisfy LNH?
>
> I figure that the decision mostly comes down to whether LNH or
> monotonicity are more important in our elections.  I know many people
> will bullet vote - probably more than in a hypothetical national
> election - if the voting system fails LNH.  However, monotonicity is
> also a concern...

                  If you want peace, work for justice.