[EM] Election methods in student government...

raphfrk at netscape.net raphfrk at netscape.net
Thu Dec 21 08:03:24 PST 2006

There is something wierd with your message that the post sizes are quite large.

 This is causing them (and my reply) to be auto moderated. Also, it shifted your
 original post to my spam folder, which means that others may not have read it.

 Anyway, hopefully this post wouldn't be that large as I have deleted everything
 (unless the problem is with the header).

 > I know about open party list - though it offers more control,
 > it still offers less than candidate-based methods -

 Right

 > The same goes for asset voting - possibly even more so.

 Asset is actually alot less rigid. If there were 5 seats, there might
 be 20-30 candidates and they would all have to negotiate what the
 results would be. This allows each voter to know the person
 they vote for.

 In effect, you are picking someone to negotiate
 on your behalf rather than directly picking a candidate. (Though
 with the rules I suggested, the negotiations are constrained. In
 ideal asset voting, the seats could be decided in any manner that
 they candidates decides as long as they have enough votes)

 > Does anyone have other suggestions? If STV were to be used, what rules would be best?

 If you are doing it on computer than then normal method is to
 have each ballot stored along with a weighting.

 The weighting is set to 1.0 at the start for everyone.

 VC = Vote for the candidate
 Quota = (Total Votes)/(Seats + 1)

 1) Allocate each ballot to the highest ranked candidate
 on the ballot who hasn't been elected or eliminated yet

 2) Sum the weighting of all ballots for each candidate

 3) If the highest candidate has greater (not equal) than the quots
 -- The candidate is elected
 -- Multiply the weightings of each ballots allocated to that candidate
 by

 (VC-Quota)/(VC)

 Otherwise,

 eliminate the candidate with the fewest votes

 4) Goto 1) until all seats are filled.

 There are some benefits from recalculating the quota as the
 election progresses due to exhausted ballots. However,
 that is not likely to be a problem for a student election.

 Step 3 can be accomplished by randomly selecting ballots to
 make up the surplus, but if you are using a computer anyway,
 then that is not a problem.