[EM] Election methods in student government...

Tim Hull thully at umich.edu
Thu Dec 21 07:38:48 PST 2006

I know about open party list - though it offers more control, it still
offers less than candidate-based methods -
and would be too rigid.  The same goes for asset voting - possibly even more
so.

A computer count is not a problem - all voting is already done on computer
anyway.  Thus, I definitely think either STV or some kind of proportional
approval or range voting would seem to be the best options for
multi-winner.  I don't think the fact that STV was eliminated before is a
huge issue - as it was 20 years ago...  They did cite monotonicity as one of
their reasons in their minutes, though...

Does anyone have other suggestions?  If STV were to be used, what rules
would be best?  I'd like to not make it too complex with things like Meek,
CPO-STV, et al, but work fairly well.  Also, how should the single winner
case be handled?

Also, what preferential methods exist that satisfy "later no harm"?  I think
that students, more than others, tend to "bullet vote" - and this may be a
consideration.  I know range, Borda, et al don't satisfy it, and IRV/STV do
(they fail monotonicity, though).  Is IRV the best there is for
single-winner than satisfies later-no-harm?  Is STV for multi-winner?  Could
one look for a Condorcet winner (in single-winner) and then fall back on IRV
if none exists without violating LNH?