[EM] Would would you say about a method that gives a seat to a 1-person state?

raphfrk at netscape.net raphfrk at netscape.net
Wed Dec 20 07:35:21 PST 2006

 I was thinking of another way to do the averaging.

 What about taking the residents per seat before and after the State being allocated
 a seat.

 This also has the effect where all states get at least 1 seat.

 The measure would be:

 A = (1/2)*(P/n + P/(n+1))

 This gives:

 n -> P/A
 0 = 0.0
 1 = 1.333
 2 = 2.4
 3 = 3.429
 4 =4.444

 Hill

 A = P/sqrt(n*(n+1))

 n -> P/A
 0 = 0
 1 = 1.41
 2 = 2.449
 3 = 3.464
 4 = 4.47

 It is even worse than Hill for bias. However, it can be explained alot easier.

 "For each State, take the average of the residents per seat before and after giving the
 State an additional seat, the State with the highest average is allocated the seat".

 Another thing I was thinking about. What about using Webster, but adding a rule
 that no State may receive less than 2 Representatives. However, rather than just
 starting each State with 2, make it illegal to stop allocating seats until the condition
 is satisified. This has the added bonus (or not depending on your opinion) of increasing
 the minimum size so as to balance against smaller States.
    Raphfrk
 Interesting site
 "what if anyone could modify the laws"

 www.wikocracy.com