[EM] majoritarian top ratings (MTR)

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Mon Dec 18 10:30:13 PST 2006

Hello,

My favorite method lately I'll call "majoritarian top ratings" or "MTR."
I don't believe it has been suggested on the list. Here is the definition:

1. The voter gives every candidate the "top" rating, the "middle" rating,
or no rating at all, which is the bottom rating.

2. Say that a candidate X is "defeated by a majority" if more than half
of all voters assign some other candidate Y a strictly higher ranking
than they assign to X.

3. Elect the top candidate in the ordering of candidates wherein a
candidate X is above candidate Y when X is not defeated by a majority
while Y is, or (when this makes no distinction) when X received the top
rating on more ballots than did Y.

Advantages of this:
1. FBC
2. (my interpretation of) minimal defense
3. limited later-no-harm, in that you can't hurt your top-rated candidates
by listing middle-rated candidates.

Disadvantages:
1. fails Plurality (although not as egregiously as MMPO)
2. potential for burial strategy (although with the usual countermeasures)

As a voter I would like this a lot. I would use the top ratings basically
as approval. Then without fear of sabotaging my top-rated candidates, I
could put the better disapproved candidates in the middle slot in the
hope that it would defend against the very worst candidates.

The strategic blessing/curse is that middle ratings don't directly help
a candidate to win. They just make worse candidates lose.

Kevin Venzke