[EM] Is there a criterion for identical voters casting identical ballots?

Juho juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Dec 14 14:01:04 PST 2006

Here is one very basic case where a group of voters has identical
preferences but they benefit of casting three different kind of ballots.

In a Condorcet method there is an interest to create a loop to your
opponents. In its simplest form there are four candidates. One of the
candidates is our favourite and the others we want to beat. The
others may or may not be from one party (this influences the
probability of being able to generate a cycle at least if there are
more than 4 candidates). Let's anyway assume that all the candidates
will get about the same number of votes. Also in a zero info
situation this may be a good voting strategy. The A supporters vote
according to three patterns as follows.

If all candidates have same number of first place supporters (and
other preferences are mixed) and B, C and D supporters don't try to
create loops, A wins.

Juho Laatu