[EM] Hamilton vs Webster (Sainte-Lague)

Juho juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Dec 14 10:07:51 PST 2006

Yes, this one works. But there are still some interesting peculiarities.

Example:

We have three sates with population A:5, B:3 and C:3 (millions I guess).

Seats will be allocated in the following order: A, B*, C, A, B*, A,
C,...
- Three first seats go to the three states either based on the "at
least one seat per state" rule or by starting the algorithm from
"zero seats"
- I used * to indicate where B wins the seat by lottery (instead of C)

The strange thing is that the fifth seat goes to B by lottery but C
will not get the next seat although it was already entitled (tie) to
the previous seat (and B and C are identical states in the sense that
they have exactly the same population).

Divisor methods like SL/Webster provide ordering of the candidates/
seats by default and they may be nicer to use in places where such
ordering is needed. I however tend to think that the Alabama paradox
is not a sufficient reason to abandon use of LR/Hamilton in seat
allocation to the states. LR/Hamilton does the allocation in a
perfectly rational way that can be considered to be ideal (at least
from one point of view). LR/Hamilton (Alabama paradox) may look bad
to the audience if presented so, but it is another question if it is
bad or if it looks bad to mathematicians.

Juho Laatu