[EM] Apportionment bias

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Mon Dec 11 12:07:12 PST 2006

At 11:39 PM 12/10/2006, Warren Smith wrote:
>  claim by this same (standard) definition, all other apportionment
>methods so far discussed, generically exhibit bias.

Note that Asset Voting with precinct-based vote transfers produces
virtual districts and practically exact proportional representation,
some of which would be effectively multimember districts, with no
bias at all. (Or, more accurately, the "bias" is that the
gerrymandering is done by the voters through their proxies, the
candidates they vote for.)

(It is PR because any faction of voters who care to act as a faction
can create seats belonging to the faction. But it also represents
independent, non-affiliated voters. Essentially, the "factions" are
those supporting a particular candidate or set of candidates. This is
far more sophisticated than anything else I've seen proposed. It
makes Range Voting, per se, not necessary for representative
elections; Range still makes sense for single-winner officer elections.)