[EM] article on preferential voting

jure.toplak at uni-mb.si jure.toplak at uni-mb.si
Sat Dec 30 06:11:46 PST 2006

Dear all,

I have prepared a paper on the definition of preferential voting. I
invite all of you to check it. It is posted here:
http://rcum.uni-mb.si/~jure/preferential8_emlist.pdf

It is still a draft. On-list and off-list replies are most welcome.

In short, the article overviews various definitions of preferential
voting and shows that the term is used for a number of different
election systems and groups of such systems. It aims to contribute to
the body of research on preferential voting by proposing a common
understanding and classification of preferential voting. I suggest that
preferentiality ought to be one of the characteristics by
which electoral systems are evaluated. All election systems are
preferential, though to varying degrees. I suggest that the evaluation
of preferentiality should be based primarily on whether preferential
voting schemes enable expression of intra-party preferences, inter-party
preferences, or some combination of both. I offer a classification of
numerous electoral schemes according to their preferentiality.

Jurij