[EM] Keep It Simple

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Sun Aug 27 13:10:29 PDT 2006

Ralph Suter argues that we need real life examples of how voters actually
vote with proposed methods, rather than basing claims on predictions of
behavior.

I agree the predictions get overdone; and we are greatly lacking as to
actual votes; so I will try what I see as reasonable predictions.

Plurality - most voters want this most of the time for most races.  They
have neither time nor inclination to go farther on most of the contests
they are faced with on election day.

Approval - fills in a gap to approve multiple best candidates, or to thus
exclude one or more rejects.

Borda - mentioned recently, but seems like a reject to me.

Range - theory sounds nice, but how can voters express their desires and
have their THOUGHTS properly credited?

Condorcet - this ranked choice method, properly defined, lets voters do
well at expressing their opinions as in Plurality or Approval, or Ranking
(optionally with Approval):
      Ranking of multiple candidates as better or worse is included,
though without the complications of Range or Borda.  This gets to be a BIG
DEAL when there are more than two candidates with serious backing.
      Note that an array of vote counts can be published for convenient
analysis as to how the candidates fared - not just who won.
      Current "DH3" complaint.  Agreed schemers can create disasters BUT
takes multiple competing candidates, schemers' knowledge of predictable
normal votes, and schemers' plots to change winner via false votes failing.

IRV - same ballot as Condorcet but:
      Approval cannot be included without an agreement as to how to count.
      By, too often, ignoring parts of ballots, can pick wrong winners.
      BUT - in actual use so there is available data.

DWK