[EM] DH3 pathology, margins, and winning votes

Allen Smith easmith at beatrice.rutgers.edu
Sun Aug 27 09:00:39 PDT 2006

In message <40c.591473a.32230858 at aol.com> (on 27 August 2006 10:38:16 EDT),
RLSuter at aol.com (RLSuter at aol.com) wrote:
>What is most lacking in this and other discussions
>on this list about strategic voting is empirical data about
>how people vote in actual public elections in which different
>voting methods are used.

See http://www.RangeVoting.org/rangeVborda.html#kiribati for a discussion of
DH3 in a real-life, public Borda election (in Kiribati, a Pacific Island
state). (Also noted is a more local example, at
http://www.RangeVoting.org/rangeVborda.html#bossbulb.) I am not personally
convinced that Condorcet _with an appropriate completion mechanism, one not
vulnerable to DH3 pathology (approval being the easiest to implement IMO,
but I'd be interested in seeing a range voting version of that) in case
of cycles_ would be vulnerable in any realistic case, but Warren is correct
to point out the problem as a serious one.

   -Allen

--
Allen Smith			         http://cesario.rutgers.edu/easmith/
There is only one sound argument for democracy, and that is the argument