[EM] Visualizations of Plurality, Hare, Approval, and Condorcet

Gervase Lam gervase.lam at group.force9.co.uk
Thu Apr 20 15:31:00 PDT 2006

> On Apr 20, 2006, at 8:06 AM, Ka-Ping Yee wrote:

> I did some simulations of Plurality, Approval, Hare, and Condorcet
> methods (under certain simplifying assumptions) and produced
> visualizations of the results, which are posted at:
>
>     http://zesty.ca/voting/

What I found quite amazing is how so much alike Approval and Condorcet
are in the results.  I wonder what the visualisation results would be
for Borda.

> Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 08:42:28 -0400
> From: Brian Olson
> Subject: Re: [EM] Visualizations of Plurality, Hare, Approval, and
> 	Condorcet

> Nifty!
>
> Interesting methodology and good results. I really like how the
> middle-exclusion and non-linearity are portrayed.
>
> And for a lot of people, a two-dimensional political debate is
> substantially adequate.

Just in case something strange does crop up, I would quite like to see a
3D version of the above.  I suppose one way to present it is to have it
like an exploded pie chart, except it would be an exploded 3D
visualisation of the election methods.  Then you could have a sort of
virtual reality exploration of the pieces?  I don't know whether
Macromedia Flash is up to this or not!  Admittedly, the problem is that
the edges of the pieces are in reality a fuzzy 'outline' made up of
colours of the opposing candidates.

Thanks,
Gervase.