[EM] Voting by selecting a published ordering

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Fri Apr 7 23:45:02 PDT 2006

Pretty much agree on first phase, because it is doable on Priority machines:
     Major candidates do not need lists, but let them have one anyway.
      Minor candidates NEED multiple lists, for they do not expect to win
and their backers can disagree as to which major candidate they also wish
to back.
      Planned write-ins should be allowed to sign up as minor candidates.
      Unplanned write-ins should get voted for with no list - does not
hurt their ability to win.

My second, and last, phase would be Ranked Choice, with Condorcet counting
- really no more difficult to get the capability and define it for voters.

Also approved is a complication I would drop - I see little demand, while
anyone whose brain works this way can rank multiple candidates equally.

Approval cutoff is a complication I would drop as not Boeing worth the pain.

DWK

On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 09:35:13 +0200 Jobst Heitzig wrote:

> Hey folks!
>
> Brilliant idea in my opinion, too!
>
> I suggest the following phases of implementation:
>
> First phase: Don't change ballots, just tally according to the published
> orderings, using whatever nice ranked-ballot method (preferably DMC for
> its simplicity)
>
> Second phase: Change the ballot so that voter can not only mark her
> favourite but can also indicate some additional candidates as "also
> approved". In this way, counting remains simple. For the tallying, the
> individual voter's ranking is automatically constructed like this: X is
> above Y if either X is approved but Y is not, or X is above Y in the
> published ranking.
>
> Third phase: Change the ballot further so that it alternatively allows
> to specify a ranking (optionally with approval cutoff) directly.
>
> Yours, Jobst

                  If you want peace, work for justice.